On April 22, 1970, millions of people across the United States took to the streets to protest the negative impacts of 150 years of industrial development. Earth Day is now a global event each year, with more than 1 billion people in 192 countries taking part.
This year’s theme is ‘Restore Our Earth’, and schools across the district are organizing various activities to make a difference. A few examples happening in schools include:
- Nature walks at local parks.
- Designing and making Earth Day buttons.
- Making videos on how to help the planet.
- Designing Earth Day posters with a focus on Richmond.
- Hosting virtual assemblies to recognize and celebrate the Earth Day.